The Department Award for Excellence will be presented to a single department in recognition of its outstanding departmental excellence in the management of its people and resources. The awarded department will receive a commemorative plaque.
DEFINITION OF A DEPARTMENT
A "department" is a function or the several functions/programs and activities which are typically assigned to a principal who reports to a dean, assistant/associate vice-president, vice-president, or president. Such principals typically hold the position of dean, director, or department head.
Please ensure that letters of support address as many of the three criteria as possible and give concrete examples for each dimension highlighted.
A. CULTURE OF PROMOTING A SATISFYING WORK ENVIRONMENT – building an inclusive and productive workplace and how this is measured
- Ensures respect for all department members
- Fosters an environment of diversity and inclusion
- Supports a culture of engagement
- Encourages and accepts the need for a balance between life and work commitments
- Takes action to support and champion diverse populations
- Embeds diversity and inclusiveness into the work duties and responsibilities
- Supports thought diversity to bring various perspectives into the workplace
B. LEADERSHIP IN CREATING AND SUSTAINING A DYNAMIC AND ENGAGING WORKPLACE – crafting an exceptional and extraordinary department and how this is observed
- Creates and reinforces an environment of innovation, empowerment, participation, and knowledge-sharing
- Establishes, communicates, and deploys organizational values based on a compelling and inclusive vision
- Supports professional development
- Addresses workplace health and safety
- Creates opportunities for success and recognition for traditionally underserved or entry level employees, or those employed 3-years and under
- Recognizes and awards the contributions of employees
- Resolves grievances and conflicts
C. ENVIRONMENT OF HIGH PERFORMANCE – setting high standards and achieving great goals and how this is impacting the workplace
- Sets directions and communicates values and performance expectations
- Prioritizes equitable and inclusive practices to encourage diversity of thought and perspective
- Uses performance metrics to help improve efficiency and effectiveness
- Promotes cooperation and collaboration, individual initiative, and innovation
- Considers cultural competence to be a critical part of the growth and development of a unit
- Aligns resources with the department’s strategic plan
How to Nominate
Submit a Nomination - Remember, all nominations are due by 5:00 p.m. on Monday, February 3, 2020 - Late or Incomplete Packets Will Not Be Accepted!
This link will take you to the "Competition Space" to submit an application for your nomination.
Visit our Assistance for Nominators page for help.
- Nominations must address the three (3) criteria themes listed below
- Nominations must be signed and submitted by the department head or responsible administrator
- Nominations must be submitted before the deadline
Deadline for Nominations
Nominations must be received no later than 5:00 p.m. on Monday, February 3, 2020. - Late or Incomplete Packets Will Not Be Accepted!