The University Awards for Excellence is designed to recognize individual University Staff, Classified Staff, and Appointed Professionals for outstanding achievements. This award is based on achievements in activities beyond normal duties. A minimum of 3 letters of recommendation are required.
Nominees will be evaluated on their actions that surpass meritorious performance in their job. Please ensure that letters of support address the criteria and give at least one concrete example for each dimension.
The following four criteria will be evaluated:
OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN THE WORKPLACE
This is achievement surpassing the normal job duties and how this benefits others.
Examples that constitute performance beyond expected standards include:
- Performing extra duties substantially beyond those normally assigned working on ‘special projects’
- Creating space for an exchange of diverse ideas and perspectives
- Identifying gaps in your area and finding ways to initiate positive change as a result
- Serving on a committee or team and creating opportunities for employees to improve skills and abilities
- Making special efforts to mentor others
EXCEPTIONAL CONTRIBUTIONS TOWARD EFFICIENCY AND EFFECTIVENESS OF OPERATIONS
This includes contributions that make a measurable impact on the work environment.
Examples that contribute toward efficiency and effectiveness include:
- Developing new and creative ways to reduce waste
- Identifying ways to reconsider who is impacted by environmental pollution and offer mitigation solutions
- Improve operational efficiency Improving service to stakeholders (such as students, parents, alumni, employees)
- Being transparent and assistive regarding financial aid and other supportive resources for traditionally underrepresented stakeholders.
OUTSTANDING SERVICE TO THE UNIVERSITY COMMUNITY AND/OR VISITORS
Outstanding service/outreach in addition or outside of normal job duties and how this impacts others
Examples of outstanding service include:
- Contributing to public service and outreach
- Incorporating various Tucson community centers and neighborhoods into recruitment, retention, or programmatic efforts
- Utilizing campus cultural and resource centers as service options for students, staff, and faculty
- Delivering exceptional service to University projects or on committees
SPECIAL EFFORTS IN PROMOTING WORKFORCE DIVERSITY
Making an exceptional effort to be inclusive and how this affects the work environment
Examples that contribute to the practice of Inclusive Excellence include:
- Increasing awareness of and respect for different cultures
- Being attentive to diversity and proactively being inclusive in the workplace
- Taking action to support and champion diverse populations
- Embedding diversity and inclusiveness into their work duties and responsibilities
- Supporting thought diversity to bring various perspectives into the workpla
How to Nominate
Submit a Nomination - Remember, all nominations must be completed by 5:00 p.m. on Monday, January 25th, 2021 - Late or Incomplete Packets Will Not Be Accepted!
This link will take you to the "Competition Space" to submit an application for your nomination.
Visit our Assistance for Nominators page for help.
- Nominee must be benefits-eligible
- Nominee must not have been one of last year's recipients
- Nominations must be submitted before the deadline
- Resumes, ancillary materials, and more than five letters of recommendation will not be accepted
- Please ensure that letters of support address as many dimensions as possible, give at least one concrete example for the criteria you are highlighting
- Please limit the support letters to two pages
Deadline for Nominations
Nominations must be received no later than 5:00 p.m. on Monday, January 25th, 2021 - Late or Incomplete Packets Will Not Be Accepted!